You Are Visitor #:

From the Waters....

Tampa, FL, United States
In the late 90's, I created "The Resume Dolphin" column for the online Morrock News Digest. Thus, "the dolphin" theme continues in a new era. I'm a Tampa Bay Based Career Advisor as well as a Recruiting and Career Services professional with over 10 years of experience. I have worked while in career services and recruiting/placement to assist people in improving their job search and their marketability! With experience in recruiting and placement for Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, Allied Health and HR, I've found out much about WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR. Knowing how employers view things can help job seekers make their searches much more effective! -This blog is a way to share that info! ...And, hopefully be of help to those "navigating the waters" of the job market!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tales from the Resume Reef.....Re "Voiceover" Mode

For about 10 years, I worked in a number of small radio stations as a part time disc jockey. And during that time, part of my job was often to write and produce 30 and 60 second commercial spots. In most of those situations, I was ending copy with such creative gems as "plenty of free parking" or "sale ends Saturday."

There is indeed a connection to resumes in this column: one thing "stuck" with me since that time. Whenever I write something, I can "hear" what it sounds like. As I write this, I can "hear" me reading it as if I was doing another 30 second commercial for Bob's Taxidermy and Screen Door Repair.

However, resumes are WRITTEN presentations.

It's a shame that some people write them in "voiceover" mode.

What I refer to is the "3rd person" style of resume writing:
Mr. Jackson received a promotion after a 300% sales increase from 2002 to 2003.
Ms. Sloan worked on several key projects while on contract.
Mr. Ramirez led the upgrade from Windows 2000 to 2003 Server across the network.

Or something like the following:
Mr. Smith is an experienced technical professional with over 10 years of IT experience. He has worked with networks and network configuration during that time. In addition, Mr. Smith has upgraded systems and led teams of technical professionals.
He has an MCSE and is working towards a CCNA certification.

That's "voiceover" mode. And it looks pompous, reads artificially and looks like someone is trying to write advertising copy instead of a resume. When I read it, I default to my old dj mode and have a harder time taking the work seriously. Put a little music underneath it and it's like I'm doing another radio commercial.

A personal preference. Yes.
A practical matter. Possibly.

In speaking with recruiters and in dealing with employers, I've found that they generally don't like such a format. If you are writing about yourself, you can use first person.

After all, you ARE describing yourself!

"Voiceover" mode, or 3rd person, can come across as impersonal. Perhaps even pompous.

Pomp and circumstance is great for graduation ceremonies, but there's no circumstance where pomp is really that helpful in your resume.

3rd person, "voiceover" mode is NOT more professional; it's less effective.
When it reads as though someone should be announcing it, your resume is focused less on what you've done. And can distract the reader. Even distance that person from you.
Put enough of yourself in 3rd person, as some do for the WHOLE resume, and it's almost as though someone else is being described instead of you!

With the good skills and experience you have to offer, take credit for what you can do. You don't need to use "I" overly much, either. Simply put your statements as follows:
Received a promotion after a 300% sales increase from 2002 to 2003.
Worked on several key projects while on contract.
Led the upgrade from Windows 2000 to 2003 Server across the network.

It's simple and more direct that way.
Remember, the simpler you make things for employers, the easier your resume is to read. And the more easy for them to find the good things you have to offer!

No comments: