You Are Visitor #:

From the Waters....

Tampa, FL, United States
In the late 90's, I created "The Resume Dolphin" column for the online Morrock News Digest. Thus, "the dolphin" theme continues in a new era. I'm a Tampa Bay Based Career Advisor as well as a Recruiting and Career Services professional with over 10 years of experience. I have worked while in career services and recruiting/placement to assist people in improving their job search and their marketability! With experience in recruiting and placement for Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, Allied Health and HR, I've found out much about WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR. Knowing how employers view things can help job seekers make their searches much more effective! -This blog is a way to share that info! ...And, hopefully be of help to those "navigating the waters" of the job market!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Email Lesson Learned the Hard Way

A few years back, I aggressively put my email address on any site of ANY kind that was of interest, whether for job search or my digital photography hobby or social networking.

The result? Well, within a couple of years I was getting over 50 SPAM emails per day. No matter how much filtering I did through Outlook or Thunderbird, such junk still got through. With such a large amount of spam each day, I was "under siege." Not to mention that I had to filter through all the garbage to find the occasionally relevant email or note from a friend.

Thus, I had to change my main email address - and did so. Next, I realized that I should not post my email address at every opportunity. Then, I made certain that ANY posting of my email address would be with my YAHOO email address. As it turns out, Yahoo has great SPAM filters; I'd imagine such other free email as Hotmail or Gmail do as well. So, the Spam levels to my HOME email address went to next to nothing.

Here's the lesson, then: If you are going to post your resume on the job boards, you are going to get spam.
Lots of it.

Keep your personal email "safe." Create a special email account from one of the free providers, such as Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail and use THAT for your job search. And post that email address on your resume as well.

That way, you'll have control over SPAM, and it won't get so "close to home."

And you can still make certain legit employers have an electronic way to reach out to you!

No comments: