You Are Visitor #:

From the Waters....

Tampa, FL, United States
In the late 90's, I created "The Resume Dolphin" column for the online Morrock News Digest. Thus, "the dolphin" theme continues in a new era. I'm a Tampa Bay Based Career Advisor as well as a Recruiting and Career Services professional with over 10 years of experience. I have worked while in career services and recruiting/placement to assist people in improving their job search and their marketability! With experience in recruiting and placement for Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, Allied Health and HR, I've found out much about WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR. Knowing how employers view things can help job seekers make their searches much more effective! -This blog is a way to share that info! ...And, hopefully be of help to those "navigating the waters" of the job market!

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Getting Back on the Bike


Earlier this week, I purchased a used bike for exercise purposes. When I “test rode” it, that was the first time I’d ridden a bike in about 7 years. And I was a little nervous.

Fortunately, everything came back to me pretty quickly, and I enjoyed the experience. I was able to shift gears and handle the brakes as if I’d been still doing the same thing over and over. Kind of like I’d never been “away” from it.

Looking for a job in a challenging economy can be a lot like getting on the bike each day. It seems like a new task, it’s challenging, and there are no real guarantees. Sometimes progress is slow and we wonder how much of that is us. And when things will change. What about losing balance?

However, just getting “on the bike” each day is a major thing. By putting effort into your search, you may not be guaranteeing success; however, you are making much stronger strides toward achieving it. By being willing to get on that bicycle and ride through interviews, phone calls and internet searches, you are pushing up hills that may be steep at times but are likely to flatten out. By steering past bad jobs and bad experiences and pedaling forward, you can keep yourself actively engaged.

If you are ready to move in your career search, no matter the reason, keep in mind that no one “stands still fast.”

Your willingness to make the effort each day is what can make the difference.

Just get back on the bike. It’s worth the ride.

And it’s all under your “pedal” power that you can grow forward.

No comments: