You Are Visitor #:

From the Waters....

Tampa, FL, United States
In the late 90's, I created "The Resume Dolphin" column for the online Morrock News Digest. Thus, "the dolphin" theme continues in a new era. I'm a Tampa Bay Based Career Advisor as well as a Recruiting and Career Services professional with over 10 years of experience. I have worked while in career services and recruiting/placement to assist people in improving their job search and their marketability! With experience in recruiting and placement for Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, Allied Health and HR, I've found out much about WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR. Knowing how employers view things can help job seekers make their searches much more effective! -This blog is a way to share that info! ...And, hopefully be of help to those "navigating the waters" of the job market!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Be Ready for the Unexpected Good Stuff...


The picture here is one of my personal favorites: something I was able to "stumble" across while taking pictures in Ft. DeSoto Park back in 2002. While strolling along the fishing pier with my digital camera, I looked up and found these two feathered folk on a lamppost. Quickly, I changed the setting to "B&W" and snapped several shots. And this is the one that seemed to turn out best.

In 7+ years of amateur, self-taught digital photography, I've come up with some pictures I really enjoy. Yet, this particular one is among those I have the greatest fondness for.

It's simple - I was ready for the "unexpected good stuff." Ft. Desoto is a park that is often ranked among America's Top Beaches. So, I went with charged camera, extra batteries, and a willingness to use up the entire memory stick.

The job search process is similar. One never knows where an opportunity may come up, from whom or when. We need to be ready.

1. Keep your resume current.
Years ago, I worked with someone who did nothing but contract work related to Defense Contract Management. He said he updated his resume AS SOON as he got a new job. That's not bad advice!
2. Keep your resume available: I keep copies in my "job search only" Yahoo email account - so I can access my documents from anywhere. Or, keep your Flash drive with you.
3. Stay in touch with your contacts.
4. Find ways to expand your "network" of contacts.
5. Communicate FREQUENTLY with your contacts.
I've sent out a "blast" email about each two weeks to my contacts:
a. With a different subject line each time. It's more likely someone will read that.
b. With something different in the text each time. Just 2 or 3 sentences updating my search. If it's TOO LONG, it becomes a chore for the reader - and you lose that person's interest.
-This is good way to remind folks you are looking, get their suggestions/feedback, and to thank them.
SAMPLE:
I just had a second interview with the XYZ Company. Any feedback on them is appreciated. Thanks for your help in my search!

Not only will these help you be ready for the "unexpected good stuff" that may come your way, but also will your constant "contacts" with your network help increase the possibility that such things can take place.

In your job search, prepare for the unexpected. The more ready you are, the better your chances will be.

No comments: