You Are Visitor #:

From the Waters....

Tampa, FL, United States
In the late 90's, I created "The Resume Dolphin" column for the online Morrock News Digest. Thus, "the dolphin" theme continues in a new era. I'm a Tampa Bay Based Career Advisor as well as a Recruiting and Career Services professional with over 10 years of experience. I have worked while in career services and recruiting/placement to assist people in improving their job search and their marketability! With experience in recruiting and placement for Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, Allied Health and HR, I've found out much about WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR. Knowing how employers view things can help job seekers make their searches much more effective! -This blog is a way to share that info! ...And, hopefully be of help to those "navigating the waters" of the job market!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Phone Tuning, Part 2 - Messages from Work


Here’s a voicemail message many leave at work:
“I’m either on the phone or away from my desk.”

Wow! Isn’t that helpful?

Other reasons the person COULD have been unavailable....
• The person was busy fighting a rampaging killer aardvark in the office.
• The person was practicing pogo stick climbing of the Eiffel Tower.
• The person was playing catch with live alligators.
• The person was eating paint.
• The person was fighting off Lex Luthor and kryptonite at the same time.

Truly, it’s nice to know that this person is safe and either on the phone or simply away from that desk, isn’t it?

“I’m either on the phone or away from my desk” is trite.
Overused.
And fairly meaningless.

It’s the equivalent of saying “I can’t take your call because I can’t take your call.”
OR
“I don’t feel like answering the phone right now, so leave a message.”

Not quite the message we might want to give to a colleague, client, or potential employer! And, we can do better!

Employers may call us at work; it’s important to be not just professional, but also to use common sense as well. Therefore, if your voicemail has the phrase “I’m either on the phone or away from my desk,” change the trite phrase to something else:
• “This is Randi Zorch. I’m sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message and I’ll return it as soon as possible.”
• “Mike Florb, here. Please leave a message at the beep with your name and number. I’ll call you back.”
• “This is Zeke Flibbo. I’d like to return your call, so please leave your message at the tone.”
• “This is Ed Cell. Please leave a message at the tone, or, if you need to reach me right away, please try my cell at 813-555-1212.”

Any of the 4 above is still short, to the point, and avoid the useless phrase of “being on the phone or away from my desk.” After all, we kind of figure you AREN’T available if you aren’t answering the call. So, why remind us?

A more professional message on your voicemail at work can ALWAYS be helpful.

And, as you can see, it’s not hard to do.

No comments: