You Are Visitor #:

From the Waters....

Tampa, FL, United States
In the late 90's, I created "The Resume Dolphin" column for the online Morrock News Digest. Thus, "the dolphin" theme continues in a new era. I'm a Tampa Bay Based Career Advisor as well as a Recruiting and Career Services professional with over 10 years of experience. I have worked while in career services and recruiting/placement to assist people in improving their job search and their marketability! With experience in recruiting and placement for Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, Allied Health and HR, I've found out much about WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR. Knowing how employers view things can help job seekers make their searches much more effective! -This blog is a way to share that info! ...And, hopefully be of help to those "navigating the waters" of the job market!

Thursday, March 20, 2008

"Fin Tuning" - References


Not long ago, I was working with a candidate who provided me with several professional references right before an interview I’d set up with a client. While I was able to reach two people and get very positive and detailed feedback, 3 other references never returned calls. Having 2 good references was helpful, but most folks are looking for at least 1-3 more.

Had the employer hired my candidate, my guess is that they would have done their own background check. And that they’d “reach out” to those references again.

Of course, if the folks being called don’t return those calls, it SLOWS DOWN the hiring process. I’ve had experiences in staffing where I could not place a candidate until references got back to me, so the candidate had to wait.

Since most professional employers want 3-5 professional references, it’s very important to make certain of the following:
1. That you have current and complete contact information for your references:
• Employers get easily frustrated with disconnected phone numbers, wrong numbers or email “bouncebacks.”
• Check with your references to make certain all your information is STILL current!
2. That your references know that phone calls may be coming:
• This is ESPECIALLY true if you haven’t communicated with references for awhile.
• Plus, it keeps your references “alert” as to why calls are coming in, and the need to answer and/or return those calls.
3. And, if you have just had a job interview, you may want to “refresh” your references memories with a simple call such as this –
“It’s Diane. Just interviewed with Zorch for the Controller Position and it went very well. Steve Jackson from Zorch is likely to call you. I appreciate your willingness to be a reference for me. Thanks”

(If you are interviewing a lot, you probably don’t have to remind folks EACH time!)

Give your past colleagues or supervisors the chance to brag about the good things you offer!

Your references can certainly be of great help as long as you make certain that they are easily reachable!

No comments: